How to add a Twitter cover photo
Last week saw the introduction of Twitter cover photos, so it’s time to update your profile!
Twitter cover photos are pretty similar to a Facebook’s cover photo – in short, it’s a large static image that sits at the top of your Twitter profile and provides a great opportunity to improve your branding on Twitter.
When people view your profile via Twitter.com, an iPad or iOS and Android devices.
Here’s how to upload a cover image to your Twitter profile:
- First off, you need to login to Twitter.com and navigate to the gear icon in the top right of your profile.
- Select ‘Settings’ and when your Account page loads then select ‘Design’ from the left hand navigation
- Then, scroll down to the section ‘Customize your own’ and you’ll see a button labelled ‘Change header’.
- Click on this and you can then add your image to upload. Ideally your image should ideally be 1200 x 600 pixels(max file size is 5mb) – you then get the option to re-position the image before clicking ‘save changes’.
- Once you’ve got your image into position you can go back and change it at any time, simply by repeating the above process.
- It’s important to consider your choice of cover photo image. Currently the text overlay with your name, bio and website address are in white (no colour customisation options), therefore if your photo is too busy or too light then the text may not be readable.
If you do this on twitter.com then your cover photo will also update on your profiles viewed on mobile or tablet devices (provided you have of course updated to the latest version of the app).
To view the cover photo on your iPad or mobile apps simply click on ‘Me’. You can then swipe between your cover photo overlayed with your profile pic, name and @name, then to your bio, location and website address. This works the same when viewing other Twitter users.