Houzz. What is it and how do I use it for Business?
When it comes to which social platform is better for showcasing architecture, interior design, landscape design and home improvements, you might want to consider Houzz – the online community which has changed the way homeowners choose professionals.
Typically the norm would be Pinterest, or potentially even Instagram. However, once you find out a little more about what Houzz is and how you can use it to help your business, you may decide to look at things differently.
Here’s my business guide to Houzz:
What is Houzz?
Houzz is an online community which connects homeowners to experienced professionals in design/architecture, disrupting the more traditional method of doing so.
This social platform is made up of photos, articles and product recommendations – making it an incredibly useful tool for both parties. In effect, it’s a cross between a social platform, a search engine and a business platform.
How do I use Houzz?
Houzz offers a range of tools which provide the user with opportunities to explore, engage and exchange, whether it’s selling or buying. Like with any social tool, in order to get as much out of it as possible, you need to do the leg work and keep your options open.
There are a few simple steps you need to take if you’re going to rank well in their algorithm:
- High quality photos – always make sure your picture is optimised and high resolution.
- Keywords – the product/photo description needs to include lots of keywords in order to help the photo to be seen by a relevant, ready audience.
- Company information – the more you tell people about yourself as a brand/individual, the more your potential contacts will understand about what exactly it is you do or need.
- Activity – make sure you’re posting fresh, relevant content and as frequently as possible.
When using Houzz, you’re able to create an ‘ideabook’ which is a reflection of your overall vision. Simply add photos that inspire you at the time and then draw from this when the time is right. Creating your ideabook is easy, see here.
From a business point of view, you might opt to ‘Go Pro’ with a subscription in order to access exclusive features, such as an analytical report on how you’ve done over any period of time. When selling, it’s important to achieve a good ‘seller score’ in order to increase consumer confidence in you, leading to a drive in sales and creating a positive brand image.
You can do this by:
- Keeping shipping time to a minimum – be quick and hassle free.
- Reduce returns and cancellations – this suggests poor quality.
- Respond to customers within a 24 hour window, don’t make people wait.
- Analyse customer prices and match/beat them to remain competitive.
- Earn positive reviews which reflect well on you or your company.
Why should I use Houzz?
Houzz has over 40 million users, with 1.5 million being local professionals. What this really means is, whether you’re a professional or a regular homeowner, there is a whole network of people who are potential resources.
There are also a few obvious factors which might sway you in favour of this unique online community:
- Increased exposure – due to the specific nature of the industry, the audience is likely to be ready (know what it is they need) and relevant. Hopefully with a more targeted audience, the likelihood of a conversion at the end of it will be that much higher.
- Increased website traffic – particularly for those who don’t sell directly through their website.
- Better SEO possibilities – Houzz is designed to display quickly and meet the requirements of modern search engines.
- Referrals and hot leads – the ability to leave feedback and reviews can potentially make or break your brand. However, due to the market being so specific (interior design, architecture), it means there will be more hot leads than you’d get on Twitter, whose audience is vast and made up of many different interests.
Verdict?Houzz is an online community which connects homeowners to experienced professionals Click To Tweet
After researching and getting to grips with Houzz myself, I have to say that it’s an incredibly useful tool for both business and consumer. Not only does it provide users with a platform to sell their products/services, but it also offers you professional advice for free!
If you would like to find out more or have any questions to ask us, get in touch!