In short, WordPress is an online blogging tool that has an easy to use content management system that people with little or no experience can grasp very quickly. It provides you with everything you need to build beautiful websites that can be customised effortlessly.
However like anything digital, things can become very complicated very quickly depending on your needs. If that’s the case, we can help take that load off of your shoulders by simply contacting us.
There are two ways in which you can start using WordPress. One way is by visiting WordPress.org and the other is by visiting WordPress.com. They both have their pros and cons so let’s take a closer look at them and see which way best suits you.
You can download this open source blogging software from WordPress.org and it offers free downloads for themes, plugins and other files that have step by step instructions for installing and setting them up.
- Use any free or commercial plugin you want to add functionality to your site.
- Download Themes, Plugins and other content easily and for free.
- Transfer files via FTP.
- Improve performance by customising WordPress and server settings.
- No advertisements.
- 100% control of Design so that your site has its own unique feel to it.
- Monetization allows you to check your website statistics.
Setting up WordPress this way can be difficult for web novices or first time users. Here are some of the steps you will need to take to get started:
- Register to a hosting provider, whether you purchase one or use a free one. This hosting provider will need to offer MySQL databases and have FTP access.
- Create a MySQL database and take note of the details provided afterwards.
- Download WordPress.
- Configure the “wp-config-sample.php” by entering the details for the MySQL database. Rename it “wp-config.php” when complete.
- Download an FTP client like Filezilla or Cyberduck to upload files to your website.
- Use your FTP client to upload your WordPress files to your host and then you’re ready to go.
Please note that some hosting providers will offer a one-click WordPress installation that deals with all of the above for you. (Recommended for beginners)
This is a much quicker way to start blogging online. All you need to do is sign up, choose from a list of themes and start blogging instantly.
- Hosting is free.
- Very easy way to start blogging without a complicated set up.
- Pick from a list of available themes.
- You will not have upgrade and compatibility issues.
- Takes less time to manage.
- Limited list of themes available that cannot be customised.
- No custom plugins.
- No FTP access.
- May show Google text ads on your site.
- Cannot use it to post Adsense ads or affiliate links.
- Cannot upload your own themes and plug-ins.
Our WordPress services are for people or businesses who would like to take the WordPress.org approach but do not have enough experience or time to design, build and maintain their own website. We can manage the whole process for you which will take the pressure off and give you more time to focus on other things. If this sounds appealing to you please do not hesitate to contact us by calling 01992 582 824 or by emailing us at email@example.com.